Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Why I am Happy About Spirit of Harmony

The following may put me in the minority opinion among gold-makers, but that's fine. I am not your average gold-maker, if there is even an "average" to speak of. In other words, I am not the type of gold-maker that does it for the sake of it. I make gold in order to spend it on the things I need in order to progress in other areas of the game, namely raiding. Let's just say that I have seriously seen some people who are into gold-making who barely know how to spec, or what abilities to use on their toons, or how to play in general. This kinda saddens me, as I think if you are going to be making fictional currency in a game, you should at least be interested in playing it. Oh well, that is neither here nor there, and I have no reason why I am bringing it up right now, other than I just feel like venting.

Anyway, why am I happy about Spirit of Harmony? A few reasons, which I will put in a tidy bullet list:

  • First, it will make certain items more scarce, namely Darkmoon Cards, Crafted Gear, things like that. Yes, I know that Darkmoon cards will also be able to be made with the Scroll of Wisdom, but that is limited to one scroll per day(which are also used for other things). Point is, because of the fact that Spirits will not be tradeable, and many people will not be paying other people for their spirits(if they even have the recipe needed in the first place, which will come into play with the recipes given by factions), there will almost definitely be less of these items flooding the AH, which of course means higher values for the ones YOU craft.
  • Because the Spirits will no longer be tradeable, the prospect of just sitting in a city and camping the AH will no longer be really that viable, at least for certain markets. Of course it will still work for others, but that is beside the point. If you want Spirits, you will have to go out and get them in the world, or in dungeons. This makes me happy, because certain lazy, trade-spamming gold makers on my server will be at a clear disadvantage, because I will have more Spirits, more rep with the factions, etc. In other words, there will be a better gating system to certain markets: time and effort, not just how much gold you can throw at it. High gating is a good thing for those who put in the effort to get past them(like me).
  • The design of spirits will help spread the wealth around somewhat. It will probably become somewhat common for people to ask to use the Spirits that other people have. Depending on the ease of getting Spirits, this may mean that they will have a high value. So, for people who are not that into the gold-making game but who love to grind rep with factions and get lots of Spirits, this can be a boon, and create a sort of symbiotic relationship between the strict gold-makers(who don't really play the game) and the people who DO play the game. More gold all-around is actually a good thing. It means more people to buy the other things you are selling.
In summary, I am happy about Spirit of Harmony because it will make certain things more scarce(and thus, more valuable), will spread gold around, and set gates to certain markets(or at least to how much can be produced in that market), which if you take the time to pass them, will reward you immensely. 

6 comments:

  1. Yeah it's going to be more fun making gold now. I'm personally happy about the way Spirits work. Of my 7 gold making toons, I regularly play 6 of them, all of whom are already at 85. I enjoy doing dungeons and PvP on different classes so it's going to be fun for me. On the other hand, I don't like where it puts me during the first week or two of the expansion though, kinda cramps on my full gold making potential until I get a few 90s up.

    Also going to put it here instead of commenting on the other post, but I really enjoyed your post "Another Reason You Should Start a Farm". Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I have been really trying to push the farming thing, as I really do see it as the most efficient way to really get either veggies or motes. Granted, there is a limit to how many you can get on any one day, but it should still be utilized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who post on a separate account while they play on their main one will be unaffected, better hope your spammers don't sit in town all day because they're actually playing on another account :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, this will do little to stop the people who have 2 accounts. I happen to have another account as well, but I really only do heavy camping in the city when there is a competitor who is too aggressively undercutting that I want to demoralize :)

      Delete
  4. Spoken like a true raider but hey each to their own, I have never been a fan of gating content as in my view it just tends to bore players to death and two months into an expansion you wonder why there are so few players left already. To be honest so many of Blizzard's decisions affecting gold making issues vex me these day I don't know what to do but as I'm not quitting I'll just have to grin and bear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will reply to your comment in my next post, as it is :P

      Delete